Per the usual disclaimer: This is recaps and highlights of my favorite superhero shows from the CW. There will be spoilers. If you are not caught up on SUPERGIRL, THE FLASH, LEGENDS OF TOMORROW, or ARROW this week you will not want to read beyond this point.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED…
Supergirl 3×05 “Damage”
-Supergirl has become a theme show. I’m not complaining, but it’s fairly obvious. A few weeks ago it was Dads, then it was Religion, now this week’s theme is Kids.
Last season, Lena Luthor used a device that her brother, Lex made, to save the world from the invasion of the Daxomites. The device is capable of seeding the atmosphere of the entire planet with whatever mineral they choose at low enough levels that it won’t effect humans. The purpose of which, originally, was to seed the atmosphere with Kryptonite, eliminating Superman without hurting the rest of humanity. Lena used the device to seed the atmosphere with harmless levels of lead, the Daxomite weakness.
Unfortunately, a bunch of kids are getting sick with lead poisoning. Mysteriously, the first person to take notice is Morgan Edge. Kara and Samantha investigate and discover that Morgan Edge has been poisoning a few kids who went to a specific pool. The uncover the plot, but can’t tie anything to him because he’s a slimy snake.
In the secondary plot, Maggie and Alex break up because Alex wants to be a mom and Maggie doesn’t. They have some great conversations about how this doesn’t change how they feel, but, in very adult fashion, they know that their paths aren’t going the same way and decide to split up.
The perfection of this entire episode was that right when Alex needed her sister, Kara was there. She takes time off at the end of the episode and tells Alex that it’s road-trip time. Kara’s a great sister.
Thoughts as I watch: (These are written down live as I watch the show)
- SUPERGIRL STOPS BUS AND ENDANGERS HOSTAGE! Tonight at 11!
- Lead Poisoning kids. Way to make an old school problem hip and with it again. Stay away from paint chips kids.
- Thank you CW for saving us that 8 day debate between Alex and Maggie.
- Geeze Louise, Morgan! That Cobra Effect thing is pretty damned messed up.
- Rich Gal can see private medical records by making a phone call. HIPPA doesn’t exist yet on Earth-38…
- CatCo needs a security check in booth. How do these people get in so easily? What is this? Star Labs?
- Is this lead poisoning only in National City? Lex’s device was supposed to seed the entire atmosphere. The first red flag should totally be the only victims are in National City.
- Shootout at the public address and Kara catches only 1 bullet. Tom Welling and Barry would have caught them all. Just sayin’.
- That 10.2% of people should have been of the entire world, not just National City.
- Moving out Montage!!
- Holy crap Lena. That wine glass is so huge you should forgo it and just chug from the bottle.
- Lena says “Lex never poisoned children,” but let’s be fair: He would have if he thought he could blame it on Superman.
- This episode is very Erin Brokovich.
- Death by Dumpling!
- Crazy Goodbye Sex!
- Adoption Stories! Kara should be suspect of anyone her age who was adopted around the same time…
- Winn makes cool shit. I definitely need him and Cisco working on something together.
- Lena totally knows Acre Lee Chemical. She’s a horrible liar. And Kara, the investigative journalist who can literally hear heartbeats,has no idea.
- “Where the coyote goes to get all the stuff to kill the roadrunner from, right?” Smooth, Morgan. Real smooth.
- Lena’s a killer! “I’m thinking like a Luthor.” She would have shot him. Without a doubt.
- Shit! They are going to crash Lena in a plane just like Lex a la Smallville!
- Doublt Shit. Edge is a cold asshole.
- She could have heat visioned those engines quicker.
- Where the fuck is J’onn? Supergirl wouldn’t need to choose between saving Lena and saving hundreds of people if J’onn just showed up and caught the other half of the plane.
- Although that scene with Kara holding the plane halves was really cool.
- Damn Morgan. Just damn. You’re colder than Caitlyn.
- Why does he keep threatening a person who can catch planes? I get that he knows she won’t kill him, but she could just annoy the hell out of him with all sorts of things that nobody could ever trace back to her. Pop his tires every day, leave him on top of more containers, make sure that everything he eats is either too cold or too hot. I mean…anything.
- Although, his threats are pretty cold. This fucker and Cayden James would be unstoppable.
- Lena and Jimmy are so gonna hook up…
- Emotional goodbye: Damn right she’ll be a great mom!
- Yes, Lena, it is too much…
- Danvers sisters moment! Family Road Trip!
- REIGN GOT SHOT!
The Flash 4×05 “Girls Night Out”
-Bachelor and Bachelorette party time!
This episode was great and a lot of fun. The boys go full bachelor party with Harry and drunk Barry being the greatest things in this entire episode. Ralph decides to take their “sit and watch movies” bachelor party and turn it into a traditional party with strip clubs and drinking. Cisco gives Barry an elixir so toxic that his super fast metabolism won’t be able to clean it out for hours, so we get a very drunk Barry who really loves chicken wings. There’s a drop in the drunk tank and a weird moment with Joe’s pseudo-step-daughter being a stripper. Also a great drunk fight with Joe getting tackled.
Bachelorette party goes a different direction with the introduction of Amunet Black, a gal with a fun accent who can manipulate specific type of metal. She has a problem with Frost and this interrupts their party festivities. There’s a lot of back and forth as Caitlyn and Frost try to come to terms with each other and as the lady half of Team Flash use #feminism to try and stop Amunet from selling a meta who cries love drugs. They call him the Weeper.
The boys get out of the drunk tank, and the girls save the day.
Thoughts as I watch:
- Totally forgot to take notes this episode, but that’s ok because the whole episode was noteworthy. Everything about this episode had me laughing, although I feel they overused the #feminism thing to the point where it didn’t feel like it was empowering so much as it was just a mantra that lost it’s effect by halfway through the episode.
- Also: Drunk Barry is 100% right. Chicken wings deserve love and Jack could have lived.
Legends of Tomorrow 3×05 “Return of the Mack”
-A lot of plot happened in this story, but really this entire episode was just a reminder of how awesome Mick is. That being said, I’ll try to sum up the rest.
Rip is working without the Time Bureau’s knowledge in his hunt for the mysterious Mallus. They are in 1880’s I think and supposedly there’s a vampire. For this reason alone, Mick is awesome. Anyway, turns out that Mallus is supposedly going to resurrect a major domo in the hierarchy of magic, but who knows who it is. Turns out that it isn’t vampires, just a dude who likes using a double-pronged needle to drain people to help power the magic that will resurrect…you guessed it, Damien Darhk! Someone brought his body back to this time and he’s about to be resurrected meaner than ever.
During all of this, Rip kinda betrays literally everyone in his headlong pursuit of Mallus. Sara doesn’t react well and turns Rip into the Time Bureau.
Oh, and John Noble voice Mallus, which was fun.
Thoughts as I watch:
- Rip discovers a vampire in full Sherlockian style.
- Nate pages people like my boss pages people. Which is funny.
- “My whole life.” Mick. Episode’s over. Go home folks.
- Nevermind, HAHA, Mick stabbed the corpse. Now the episode’s over.
- “Because the corpse you buried was a vampire from the future, you idiot.” Mick
- This whole thing is going to be Mick quotes.
- Rip comes crawling back like a whiney baby.
- Awww, their totems kissed.
- Emperor Mollusk?
- “I’m no one’s side piece.” Mick again.
- “Is it because I’m handsome?”- Nate, “Pretty.”- Mick
- Oh shit! DoppelStein!
- Stein has an asshole actor ancestor.
- Mick again, “Anyone doesn’t have a reflection gets a stake.”
- “It’s that stache that’s astonishing.”
- Oh, hey! It’s the mother of Lucifer’s baby and Brandon Routh’s wife.
- I have no idea what Nate is singing.
- DAAAAAAMN! Sara can fight!
- Lucifer’s mom is a damned kooky woman… and mean too.
- “Instead of a sexy vampire, I get stuck with this weirdo!” – Nate
- Hey! CURTIS Cameo!
- WTF? Damien? Really?
- Damn Straight Sara’s the captain!
- Still bitter that she’s been resurrected, though.
- Knew Rip was going to screw it all up.
- “Told you we shouldn’t have trusted the Englishman.” – Mick Honestly, everyone should just listen to Mick. They’d have a lot less stress.
- It’s all on Zari, now.
- Gave up her totem like a damned idiot. She must be a Legend.
- Woah! Time Bust!
- Eleanore is totally Mallus, just guessing.
- John Noble! Eleanore isn’t Mallus?
- “Who stole my watch?” Good entrance Darhk. I also like that he remembers everything that was wiped, too.
- Fricken Toy Story 3!
- Damien Kill Montage! And really good too!
- Rip just became a Pseudo-Speedster. I want that toy!
- Cool trick with the totem. Accio Totem!
- Holy crap, Rip. You seriously messed up and got a lot of Time Agents dead.
- Grape fruit is gross.
- Sara is the voice of reason. That’s when you know you’ve fucked up, Rip.
- Sara made the right call.
- My actual prediction: Future Rip is Mallus.
Arrow 6×05 “Deathstroke Returns”
-Oliver is tasked with helping Slade find his estranged son. Team Arrow are under major heat from the FBI. We see the return of Vigilante, who’s trying to kill the lady who’s trying to get the Anti-Vigilante bill passed. Team Arrow keeps trying to help, but the FBI keeps getting in the way. Dinah discovers that Vigilante is Dinah’s old partner and boyfriend. Turns out that the dark matter explosion turned him into a meta that can heal.
As for the whole Slade and Oliver thing, they track him to Kasnia, and they are very Communist, with the whole sickle and hammer. They try to lie to Oliver and Slade about the kid dying in prison, but it turns out a group called the Jackals broke him out of jail.
One great Deathstroke fight later and we learn that Slade’s kid is actually running the Jackals.
Thoughts as I watch:
- What are the odds that Dinah would see that sniper?
- Cane? Kaen? Caen?
- Slade needs diplomacy. This sounds like its going to be an interesting episode.
- Bringing back the flashbacks!
- I want some freakin t-spheres.
- FBI asking why Diggle is there when I’m also asking it. Props FBI gal.
- Get your wife to call this FBI lady off your backs already, Diggle.
- If Oliver doesn’t go, it’ll be a very slow episode.
- Is Vigilante a Meta? That was a surprise.
- “It’s You!” … guy I’ve never seen before. Probably her old partner.
- Vincent Sable, old partner. Called it.
- Dark Matter flashback, he’s totally a meta.
- Slade’s not the Terminator, Arnold is.
- “I’m not so nice a guy,” The build up.
- I liked’s Felicity’s joke about her glasses.
- That was a short and useless interview. Literally just asked her if she was dating Oliver and then let her leave.
- Why do I feel like Slade has something up his sleeve?
- That’s a very old tv in their Kasnian hotel.
- Ferris Air name drop. Green Lantern is on the way?
- Sickle and Hammer. Going old school Commies.
- Slade’s kid isn’t dead. Oldest trick in the book.
- Do you think he has to drain the eye patch when he cries?
- Rugby, haha. Must be Australian…
- John says what I’m thinking, too. Psychic show. Why isn’t she happy to see her dead partner?
- Slade’s angry. You won’t like him when he’s angry.
- The Wolfman (Cane Wolfman) was taken by Jackals.
- FBI is using the Council woman as bait. Geeze. That’s kind of intense.
- Suit up, Deathstroke.
- Just let Oliver help you, dumdumb. He’s bored. Oh wait, you drugged him.
- I’ve been camping. A lot. People don’t just keep walking by your camp when you’re deep in the woods.
- Your kid totally saw you kill that guy, Slade.
- Watson doesn’t need to see Diggle. You had all the cops double checking ID’s. They know he was there.
- How is she corrupt?
- He’s not dead. Told you he was Meta.
- Team Arrow will not be happy that she let Vigilante go.
- We gonna get some Deathstroke fights or what?
- There we go!!!
- His son is the boss. I’m calling it.
- Don’t have a gun? Oliver will take a gun.
- Told you his sone was the boss.
- That’s how it ends? WTF? Didn’t know this was a two-parter.